The New Players Guide to Online Slots
Tuesday, 14 January, 2014
You’re in a bar and your best friend has invited all of her work colleagues out to join you (you’ve never met them before).
As the night goes on, they all start talking about work. And their jobs are boring.
You find yourself on the suburbs of their conversation – chipping in with the occasional chuckle, nod or smile. You have absolutely no idea what they’re banging on about.
We know, online casinos can seem like this sometimes; with all the gaming jargon, unwritten etiquette and masses of different slot games.
This blog will hopefully clear some things up for you, so not only will you be able to keep up with the ‘conversation’ but you’ll also be able to start building your online casino experience to such a level, that you can confidently take on the best games at Kerching.
Here goes …
Slots Jargon to Learn
- Coins – the term used for money, points and currency in the online slots world
- Wild symbol – this is basically just a ‘blank’ icon that connects a series of other symbols to make a winning sequence
- Max bet – this is an easy one, it’s the maximum bet you can place per spin
- Payline – a line across the reels in which corresponding symbols need to sit along, in order to trigger a win
- Scatter symbol – these can land you prizes without even sitting on a payline
- Free spins – a bunch of spins awarded to you (mainly in a bonus round) that automatically run in succession
Slot Reels Explained
The reels are the vertical columns on a slot game. Most typical titles will have 3-4 reels but the newer models often come out with more radical designs.
For example, Siberian Storm has 5 reels, displayed in hexagonal format.
The sequence is 3 icons, then 4, then 5, then 4, then 3 again.
This platform requires multiple ways to win and no longer is a straight line of three cherries across the centre the only thing to look out for in a slot.
This game actually uses a MultiWay Xtra paying system (but that’s a whole other blog).
First, let’s get our head around paylines …
Right, the online slot is all about the paylines.
Not every slot has the same number of paylines – and not every slot features the same payline patterns.
Like we said, some use alternative systems like the MultiWay Xtra. Still, one step at a time.
Paylines work like this …
- The lines across which you need to place a sequence of winning symbols are built-in to the game
- They can be straight, they can be jagged, but they are (nearly) always horizontal
- You don’t always need to place identical symbols across a payline to trigger a win – some are activated through a combo of icons
- Certain games pay both left-to-right and right-to-left
- Some titles allow you to determine the amount of available paylines
Wild Symbols Explained
The Wild is awesome.
It’s your helping hand – stepping in just when you need that one (or two – or three) symbol to make a winning sequence.
Not all games feature these but most of the big IGT titles do. Some even carry the symbols through to the bonus round for mega wins.
Learn to love the Wild – the heroic substitute for your missing piece.
Bonus Rounds Explained
The bonus round is really what ‘makes’ a slot game.
And it can vary from title to title. Most bonus rounds are straightforward free spins stages, with heightened chances of winning and a switch in theme.
But some are more interactive, will require you to make in-game choices and can feel much more engaging than conventional fruit machines.
Triggering the bonus is often achieved by stringing together multiple bonus symbols on the pre-bonus board. This is what you’re always on the lookout for in a slot. If you’re not playing for the bonus, then you’re not playing to win big. Get involved.
You’re ready to start …
Don’t be the friend on the ‘suburbs of online casino conversation’ – get to know this world, it’s one of the most welcoming, exciting and fulfilling places to spend your day.
Just remember to not be that ‘friend’ who alienates noobies with heavy jargon and in-jokes. The Kerching site is one big place of gathering gamers. Enjoy the games and enjoy the company, you’re already part of the family.
Be sure to visit our Online Slots page to get started!
- Golden Temple Slot Review
- Totem Lightning Slot Review
- Reel Heist Slot Review
- Fishin' Frenzy Slot Review
- Malcolm and Lucky Wishwood Slot Review
- October 18
- September 18
- August 18
- July 18
- May 18
- April 18
- March 18
- February 18
- January 18
- December 17
- November 17
- October 17
- September 17
- August 17
- July 17
- June 17
- May 17
- April 17
- March 17
- February 17
- December 16
- November 16
- October 16
- June 16
- May 16
- April 16
- December 14
- August 14
- July 14
- April 14
- March 14
- February 14
- January 14